I.S.S. - She's a Girl - Listener Reviews » I haven't forgotten about the girl

• Kevin
    Kevin
    Smolens' obsession with meticulous production techniques certainly shines on this sophomore release, and the compositional finesse here will make any student of pop music history wonder just how different our musical landscape would be if The Beach Boys' "SMiLE" were released in the '60s. If there were a Philip K. Dick story with such a premise, "She's A Girl" would have been plucked from that alternate reality and dropped here in our world as a curious artifact à la "The Man In The High Castle," meant for us to pore over and question the possibilities of a reality that could have been. Fortunately for us, Smolens has delivered the goods, and we can close our eyes and easily evoke that world - one where harmony is valued in pop music, rock and roll remains fun, and the studio is treated as an instrument rather than a crutch. Anyone familiar with I.S.S.' previous release will be pleased to know that the brilliantly campy and surprisingly poetic comedy of the lyrical content has also remained intact with "She's A Girl," thanks in part to George Smith's contributions, and can be heard at its finest in "Bat's Hand." This vital element is a staple of the I.S.S. brand, and just as Smolens has advanced his craft, so has George. As a listener and longtime fan, I can say with all certainty that "She's A Girl" has been worth the wait.

Smolens' obsession with meticulous production techniques certainly shines on this sophomore release, and the compositional finesse here will make any student of pop music history wonder just how different our musical landscape would be if The Beach Boys' "SMiLE" were released in the '60s. If there were a Philip K. Dick story with such a premise, "She's A Girl" would have been plucked from that alternate reality and dropped here in our world as a curious artifact à la "The Man In The High Castle," meant for us to pore over and question the possibilities of a reality that could have been. Fortunately for us, Smolens has delivered the goods, and we can close our eyes and easily evoke that world - one where harmony is valued in pop music, rock and roll remains fun, and the studio is treated as an instrument rather than a crutch. Anyone familiar with I.S.S.' previous release will be pleased to know that the brilliantly campy and surprisingly poetic comedy of the lyrical content has also remained intact with "She's A Girl," thanks in part to George Smith's contributions, and can be heard at its finest in "Bat's Hand." This vital element is a staple of the I.S.S. brand, and just as Smolens has advanced his craft, so has George. As a listener and longtime fan, I can say with all certainty that "She's A Girl" has been worth the wait.

Please or register to post.

Add your message- It will be added as the newest post